Technology is moving at an exponentially rapid pace and it offers unique opportunities for learning.
Global ‘everything’ is a reality. Today’s students will change jobs 10 to 14 times by the time they reach 38 years of age and they will actually need to craft their own careers.* McAllen ISD responded to this ‘call to action in a way that captured national attention and is being emulated by districts across the state and country. We lead the way.
Our aim is to create a learning environment that fosters creativity, ingenuity, and resourcefulness by placing into students’ hands cutting-edge technology, coupled with genuinely student-centered, inquiry-based learning, and a team of professional educators to skillfully facilitate their intellectual growth.
Most importantly, students can choose from a wide range of educational programs that offer high academic rigor and the rich, full-rounded experiences and 21st Century skills sets that universities and employers seek.
It is a culture of progressive thinking, balanced by sage classroom experience.
- TLC3 – Teaching/Learning Framework that includes iPads/iPod Touch devices for every student
- Globally- recognized International Baccalaureate instruction at all grade levels
- International Baccalaureate college-level instruction Diploma Programme
- Advanced Placement nationally recognized college-level instruction
- Concurrent enrollment college-level instruction
- Dual enrollment college-level instruction
- Medical Science Academy (DEMSA)
- Engineering Academy (DEEA)
- Computer Science Academy (DECSA)
- Professional Associate’s Degree via Early College High School
- Professional Certifications & licensures via Career Technical Education
- Comprehensive High School – the full experience (the arts, athletics, and extracurricular programs)
- 24,254 students
- 33 campuses
- 3,445 employees
- 1,675 teachers
- 93.4% Hispanic
- 61.0% At-Risk
- 72.3% Economically Disadvantaged
- 29.8% Limited English Proficient
Source: 2014-15 Texas Academic Performance Report
The McAllen Independent School District is a multicultural community in which students are enthusiastically and actively engaged in the learning process. Students demonstrate academic excellence in a safe, nurturing and challenging environment enhanced by technology and the contributions of the total community.
The mission of the McAllen Independent School District is to educate all students to become lifelong learners and productive citizens in a global society through a program of educational excellence utilizing technology and actively involving parents and the community.
Goal 1 – Student Achievement/Student Focus
Goal 2 – People Development
Goal 3 – Facility Use
Goal 4 – Financial Priorities