Advanced Academic Services
2000 N. 23rd Street
McAllen, TX 78501
Ph: (956) 618-6059 | FAX: (956) 631-7206
In the McAllen Independent School District the Advanced Academic Services Department provides direction and leadership to the K-12 Advanced Academics Program. Advanced Academic programs include the Gifted and Talented Program for gifted and talented identified students and services for advanced learners.
Gifted and Talented Program:
- Ensures compliance with state and local mandates.
- Identifies children who need the program to be successful.
- Is responsible for the program design.
- Promotes curriculum differentiation for GT students.
- Provides staff development for Challenge Program teachers.
- Keeps informed about current legislation, educational developments, literature and research in Gifted Education.
- Works cooperatively with parents and community members to ensure understanding and support of gifted education.
Services for Advanced Learners (including the gifted learners):
- STEAM + Academic Framework at 27 Elementary, Middle and High School Campuses
- Advanced Placement and AP Capstone Program
- Advanced Placement Program Graduate
- Achieve Early College High School
- Elementary Gifted and Talented Program
- Elementary IB Programme at Francisca Alvarez, Dr. Pablo Perez and Theodore Roosevelt Elementaries
- Middle School Gifted and Talented Program
- Middle School IB Programme at Alonzo DeLeon Middle School
- Middle School Pre-Advanced Placement Strategies
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at Lamar Academy
- College Concurrent Enrollment and Dual Enrollment
- Credit by Exam for Acceleration
- House Bill 5 Endorsements
- Duke University Talent Identification Program (TIP) for 7th grade students
- PSAT/SAT Testing
- Summer Reading Grades 3 – 5 2016
- Summer Reading Grades 6 – 8 2016
- Summer Reading Grade 9
- Summer Reading Grade 10
- Summer Reading AP English Language (Grade 11)
- Summer Reading AP English Literature (Grade 12)