Transforming Learning in the Classroom, Campus & Community
McAllen ISD’s TLC3 teaching and learning framework has been named an Apple Distinguished Program Award for 2013-15. View our .iba file here. View as a pdf here. View our .ibooks file here.
TLC3 (TLC cubed) stands for Transforming Learning in the Classroom, Campus and Community.
It’s an innovative teaching and learning framework that leverages powerful new technologies and merges them with an advanced concept known as challenge-based learning. It empowers students to live and learn in a continuously changing 21st century environment and enables them to effectively interact in a global marketplace.
McAllen ISD students are engrossed in a world of incredibly thought-provoking, discussion-igniting learning experiences available at the click of a button. It’s inquiry in the classroom, integrating technology, igniting higher-level thinking and prompting students to delve deeper into issues at all levels and in all subjects.
All these experiences illustrate the root concept behind McAllen ISD’s TLC3—transforming learning in the classroom, campus, and community. McAllen ISD may be the largest district in the nation working to place the latest in mobile technology into the hands of all of its students—from high school seniors down to kindergarten—more than 25,000 in all.
TLC3 Goals & Objectives, Orientation, Registration, and Distribution
- What is TLC3? Click here.
- Parents & students comment on TLC3 plus TLC3 training, Jan. 2012. Click here.
- Rowe HILD students receive iPads, Jan. 2012. Click here.
- Superintendent’s Report to Community, Feb. 2012. Click here.
- Forum on TLC3 at Partners Breakfast, Nov. 2011. Part one here. Part two here.
- City Leaders on TLC3 Click here.
- Transforming Learning Conference: View the videos Part 1 Part 2Part 3 Part 4
- Community Forums on TLC3
- Reading rates on rise following use of reader app on iPads. The Monitor. Feb. 2013.
- Bully-prevention app now available on McAllen ISD iPads. The Monitor. Dec. 2012.
- School district framework touted in Kings, Queens & Scholars magazine. Dec. 2012
- State magazine, Texas School Business, features School Board and TLC³ in Nov.-Dec. 2012 issue.
- RGV Academic magazine’s debut issue focuses on TLC3. Oct. 2012
- National business journal, Bloomberg, highlights district, iPads. Oct. 2012.
- Jackson, TLC3 featured among Coolest Schools in America in Parent & Child magazine.
- TLC3, McAllen ISD focus of article in Education Week.
- Forbes lists district among world leaders in iPad rollout. See tablet deployment database.
- Scholastic Administrator magazine article on TLC³. Summer 2012 issue. Part 1, Part 2.
- Nearly 1,500 teachers receive iPads. Story on KVEO-TV Channel 23.
- McAllen city leaders discuss TLC3 on McAllen Cable Network, April 2012.
- McAllen ISD among first to be on iTunes U. Stories on KGBT Channel 4, KVEO Channel 23, McAllen Cable Network, The Monitor. Listen to superintendent discuss iTunes U on podcast as heard on the Drive Home with Davis Rankin and Roy Martinez on 710 KURV.
- Valley district makes digital leap in technology from San Antonio Express-News April 9.
- TLC3 article in Texas Lone Star magazine, March 2012.
- Conference panel praises iPads, TLC3. Coverage from March 20 in The Monitor, Channel 23.
- TLC3 makes national news again! NBC Latino story from March 7.
- iPad in Schools website highlights McAllen ISD rollout March 2.
- McAllen students to study in an Apple world, KRGV-TV Channel 5, March 1
- ‘Is McAllen ISD the most forward-thinking district in America?’ – Texas Monthly Daily Post, Feb. 29.
- Superintendent discusses TLC3 on Texas Public Radio. Feb. 29.
- Huffington Post, Colorado, Canadian newspapers pick up Associated Press report on McAllen ISD plan.
- iPad rollout begins. Story reported in The Monitor, KVEO-TV Channel 23
- Why McAllen ISD’s iPad push is just a start. McAllen Chamber of Commerce. Click here.
- McAllen schools prepare for iPads, security deposit, The Monitor, Jan. 2012. Click here.
- District discusses TLC3 with community, The Monitor, Jan. 2012. Click here.
- Texas School Business magazine spotlights Superintendent and TLC3 (Part 1, Part 2), Jan. 2012.
- McAllen Cable Network interviews McAllen ISD Superintendent on TLC3, Nov. 2011. Click here.
- Telemundo (KTLM-TV) show Bien Aca interviews McAllen ISD Superintendent on TLC3, Nov. 2011. Click here.
- TLC3 launch coverage on KGBT-TV, Channel 4, Nov. 2011. Click here.
- Valley school district plan gives students iPad, Ocober 18, 2011, Click here.
- TLC3 launch coverage in The Monitor, Oct. 2011.
- TLC3 launch coverage in San Antonio Express-News, Oct. 2011.
- TLC3 launch coverage on KVEO-TV, Channel 23, Oct. 2011.