In McAllen ISD’s continuing pursuit to be good stewards of the public’s dollar, the district has been recognized for excellence in budget presentation with the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the 2019–20 budget year.
This is the third straight year McAllen ISD has earned the highest recognition in government budgeting.
The recognition was made by the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO). Earlier this month, preliminary reports indicated that McAllen ISD also earned the Schools FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas) for the 16th time in 17 years from the Texas Education Agency. It earned the Schools FIRST with a perfect score for the eighth straight year.
ASBO International’s MBA and Pathway to the MBA promote and recognize best budget presentation practices in school districts. Participants submit their applications and budget documents to a panel of school financial professionals who review the materials for compliance with the MBA Criteria Checklist and other requirements and provide expert feedback that districts can use to improve their budget documents.
Districts that successfully demonstrate they have met the necessary program requirements may earn either the MBA or Pathway to the MBA, an introductory program that allows districts to ease into full MBA compliance.
“Districts that apply to the MBA or Pathway to the MBA programs recognize the importance of presenting a quality, easy-to-understand budget internally and to the community,” ASBO International Executive Director David J. Lewis explained. “Participating in the MBA and Pathway programs provides districts with important tools and resources they need to communicate the district’s goals and objectives clearly and it illustrates their commitment to adhering to nationally recognized budget presentation standards.”
Founded in 1910, the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) is a nonprofit organization that, through its members and affiliates, represents approximately 30,000 school business professionals worldwide.
McAllen ISD has won several major awards in recent years for its sound fiscal practices. These include:
- The McAllen ISD Business Office has been awarded the Certificate of Achievement in Excellence in Financial Reporting by Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) for the ninth consecutive year. The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
- Earning the state’s highest mark by TEA’s Schools FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas), 16 times in 17 years with a perfect score in the last eight years.
- Maintained a high credit rating from a major credit-rating service (Moody’s)
- Earned Transparency Stars from Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in Traditional Finances and Debt Obligations in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Awarded Achievement of Excellence in Procurement (AEP) for six straight years from the National Procurement Institute, Inc.