McAllen ISD art students earned five of 12 available places, including first place in both Middle School and High School, Saturday, January 25, in the first-ever Rio Grande Valley Visual Arts Contest in Mission.
Students were given three hours to complete a new work of art based on a still life and a prompt. The prompt this year was “Evolved." McAllen ISD competed with students from six other school districts. Each district had their own local contest to qualify up to five middle school and five high school students to the regional.
After three hours, all of the art work was judged and the top six students in each category were recognized. McAllen ISD was outstanding. The McAllen ISD students that competed are:
- Middle School
- Asya Hinojosa, Cathey MS - FIRST PLACE
- Catherine Garza, Morris MS - THIRD PLACE
- Kaitlyn Razo, Fossum MS - FIFTH PLACE
- Veronica Manzo, Cathey MS
- Ava Rodriguez, Cathey MS
- High School
- Evelyn Noriega, Memorial HS - FIRST PLACE
- Gaby Markle, Lamar Academy - SECOND PLACE
- Chloe Lopez, Memorial HS
- Ella Wingate, Lamar Academy
- Janine Lopez, McAllen HS (First Place at McAllen ISD contest)
Congratulations to all of these very talented McAllen ISD art students and their hard-working teachers! We are extremely proud of our Visual Arts Program in McAllen ISD. It is second to none!