In the McAllen Independent School District the Advanced Academic Services Department provides direction and leadership to the K-12 Advanced Academics Program. Advanced Academic programs include the Gifted and Talented Program for gifted and talented identified students and services for advanced learners.
Gifted and Talented Program:
- Ensures compliance with state and local mandates.
- Identifies children who need gifted services and high achievers for inclusion in the GT classroom.
- Is responsible for the program design.
- Promotes curriculum differentiation for GT and Advanced students.
- Provides staff development for GT Program teachers.
- Keeps informed about current legislation, educational developments, literature and research in Gifted Education.
- Works cooperatively with parents and community members to ensure understanding and support of gifted education.
Services for Gifted and Advanced Learners:
- Advanced Placement and AP Capstone Program at all High Schools
- Advanced Placement Program Graduate
- Achieve Early College High School at Lincoln
- Elementary Gifted and Talented Program
- Elementary IB/GT Programme at Francisca Alvarez, Dr. Pablo Perez and Theodore Roosevelt Elementaries
- Middle School IB/GT Programme at Alonzo DeLeon Middle School
- Middle School Pre-Advanced Placement Strategies in all middle schools
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme/GT at Lamar Academy
- College Concurrent Enrollment and Dual Enrollment at all High Schools
- Credit by Exam for Acceleration
- House Bill 5 Endorsements
- Duke University Talent Identification Program (TIP) for 4th, 5th and 7th grade students
- PSAT Testing in 8th, 10th and 11th grade
- SAT Testing for 11th grade
- Independent Investigations class projects and Texas Performance Standards Project
- Rice University partnership with the TAPIA STEM Camp for Math, Science, Computer Science
- UTRGV TEXPrep Engineering Camp
- Academic UIL/ Chess Club/Robotics/Community Service/Programming and Microsociety schools.