School District Media Policy
McAllen Independent School District
Sept. 24, 2018
It is the goal of McAllen ISD to provide for safety of the athletes, coaches and ticket holders to the McAllen Independent School District to attend events held at the McAllen Veterans Memorial Stadium. We understand the difficulty of covering these events and we appreciate the positive publicity our schools and athletes receive because of your work. In formulating a media policy, we have tried to address as many media groups as possible. We understand that different media outlets have different needs, and we strive to meet those of everyone involved. This policy applies to media outlets interested in covering McAllen ISD athletic events held at the stadium.
Only individuals with McAllen ISD-issued media credentials will be allowed access to McAllen ISD events. To obtain media credentials to McAllen ISD athletic events, certain protocols must be followed.
- To request media credentials for stadium events interested media members must fill out the online credential request
- Each person, along with his or her title (reporter, photographer, etc.), must be listed in the request.
- Requests via telephone or email will NOT be accepted.
- Request must be received no later than Monday before 5 pm the week of the event.
- LATE REQUESTS MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Media credentials can be requested for a single event or for the entire school year (2018-19).
- No credentials will be issued to any media outlet that is not deemed by McAllen ISD to have adequate editorial oversight. Additionally, McAllen ISD will not credential anyone deemed in poor taste or not in compliance with the mission of McAllen ISD as determined by McAllen ISD.
- McAllen ISD makes the final determination of whether media credential requests are granted. If your request is denied, McAllen ISD will make every attempt at contacting your media outlet via the email provided in the online credential request. It is your responsibility to assure your credential request has been successfully received and approved. All credentials will be placed on reserve site and will not be mailed.
- You may check the status of your credential request via e-mail at: email@example.com.
Credentials or tickets for spouses, friends, children, etc. of media representatives will not be provided.
Acceptance of the media credentials to a McAllen ISD event constitutes an agreement by the individual to abide by all media regulations of McAllen ISD.
FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY: The use of electronic flash equipment, other than remote off-camera strobe flash, is prohibited at McAllen ISD stadium events. McAllen ISD prohibits the sale of photographs from McAllen ISD events and will not credential any photographers whose photos will be used for any purpose other than media coverage.
Credentials will be provided only to reporters covering McAllen ISD events. Daily or weekly newspapers are required to have a circulation of at least 30,000. NEWSPAPERS MUST IDENTIFY SCHOOL(S) THEY ARE COVERING IN THEIR online media credential requests. Daily newspapers, weekly newspapers, and publishing companies will be having different limits on the number of credentials they may be granted. McAllen ISD must have names for all persons claiming passes and all persons must bring photo identification.
McAllen ISD does not issue media credentials for statisticians not associated with McAllen ISD.
Radio stations providing a live broadcast of the event will be limited to two credentials for stadium events. Radio stations not doing a broadcast of the event will be limited to one credential. Radio stations must identify school(s) they are covering in their online media credential request. Radio stations must have a broadcast facility located in the Rio Grande Valley affiliated with a national radio network (i.e. ESPN Sporting news, Westwood One, Fox News etc.) must be in good standing with the McAllen ISD and should have permission from that McAllen ISD to broadcast its game. Any disputes will be handled by the McAllen ISD Community Information Department.
Entities providing a live audio broadcast on the Internet are subject to the same policies as radio stations.
Television stations will be limited to three credentials for stadium events. Television stations must have a Broadcast facility located in the Rio Grande Valley with a nightly news show and a nightly sports segment. Must identify school(s) they are covering in their online media credential request. Contests may not be filmed in their entirety and footage should be used for highlight purposes only. Highlight footage should be no more than three minutes long.
A representative from Internet sites interested in covering a McAllen ISD event should request credentials prior to the deadline following the same protocol as other media outlets (see above). Requests will be considered on an individual basis. Internet sites may have up to two credentials. INTERNET SITES WITH NO VESTED INTEREST IN THE EVENT WILL BE DENIED CREDENTIALS. Sites must identify school(s) they are covering in their online media credential request.
Websites will not be credentialed unless they meet all specifications outlined below:
- Must be a legal corporate entity that has been in business for at least one full calendar year and has provided coverage of a McAllen ISD member school for at least one full year.
- Must provide original daily coverage of McAllen ISD athletic teams with its own staff of full-time reporters, photographers and equipment.
- No credentials will be issued to any website that is not deemed by McAllen ISD to have adequate editorial oversight.
The following Internet sites will not be granted credentials:
- Personal page Internet site publishers
- Aggregate Internet sites
- Sites that do not produce original content on a daily basis.
- Sites that do not update original content on a daily basis are up to the discretion of McAllen ISD.
- Internet sites associated in any way with the promotion of alcohol, tobacco, gambling, political election issues/candidates, or lewd subject matter, as determined by McAllen ISD
- Any other Internet site (blogs, vlogs & other social media bloggers) deemed in poor taste or not in compliance with the mission of Interscholastic athletics as determined by McAllen ISD.
A representative from magazines interested in covering the event should request credentials prior to the deadline following the same protocol as other media outlets (see above). Requests will be considered on an individual basis. Magazines may have up to two credentials. Magazines must identify school(s) they are covering in their online media credential request. Magazines must furnish a recent issue, if requested by McAllen ISD. Samples will need to be received before the credential request deadline.
The following Magazines will not be granted credentials:
- Magazines associated in any way with the promotion of alcohol, tobacco, gambling, political election issues/candidates or lewd subject matter as determined by McAllen ISD
- Any other magazine deemed in poor taste or not in compliance with the mission of interscholastic athletics as determined by McAllen ISD.
- Magazines must furnish, current issue dating published within 3 months from of the date of request. Samples would need to be received before the deadline to request a credential.
High School Student Media
Schools will be issued up to six media credentials for stadium events. The credentials are intended for use by students in their school’s journalism program and should include newspaper, yearbook and broadcast journalism on a single request. Only individuals with McAllen ISD-issued media credentials will be allowed access to McAllen ISD stadium events. Students must show a valid student identification card from the participating high school to obtain McAllen ISD media credentials – there will be no exceptions.
Individuals issued student media credentials are not required to purchase a ticket to enter the event. Contests may not be filmed in their entirety and footage should be used for highlight purposes only. Highlight footage should be no more than three minutes long.
High School media credentials will not be considered for parents, booster clubs, spirit groups, team photographers or other coaches to take pictures or footage of the contest.
If your school is not participating in the event, you will not be granted credentials. The same guidelines apply to opposing team sidelines.
McAllen ISD does not issue media credentials to freelance writers or to commercial photographers. Media credentials are intended for media purposes only. McAllen ISD prohibits the sale of photographs from McAllen ISD stadium events.
McAllen ISD does not issue media credentials to recruiting services or scouts.
McAllen ISD’s goal is to provide the best service possible to the working media. Part of this responsibility is guaranteeing that services are available only to the working media. To request media credentials, please follow the protocol listed above by filling out the online credential request form.