Intervention Programs at McAllen ISD
The New Herman Method is a small group reading intervention that provides instruction in phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension skills. Its multi sensory Orton-Gillingham-based approach is used in thousands of schools nationwide and has proved successful with inner-city classes, English learners, and students with learning disabilities. Grades K-5th Grade
The New Herman Method:
- Builds strong readers and writers with a comprehensive approach to literacy
- Sequentially and systematically teaches students reading, spelling, handwriting, and composition skills
- Incorporates visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and tactile modalities
- Introduces new procedures to aid teachers and students in successfully completing the introduction to new graphemes for reading, handwriting, spelling, and dictation activities
- Incorporates materials that have been updated and reformatted for ease of use
- Includes pictures and stories that have been updated to align with today’s vocabulary and editorial standards for cultural responsiveness
Esperanza is the only Spanish Orton-Gillingham program in the world. The Esperanza program is a Spanish multi-sensory structured language approach for reading, writing, and spelling. The goal of the Esperanza program is to provide a multi-sensory, sequential, systematic approach to achieve Spanish literacy.
The Esperanza program has an early childhood program for Preschool and Kindergarten called "Lenguaje y Lectura." This program focuses on early literacy skills. Its components include phonological awareness, the alphabetic principle, phonics, early writing skills, oral language, and comprehension.
The next level of the Esperanza program is designed for emergent readers in first and second grade. The goal of this level is to systematically and cumulatively develop a strong knowledge of the structure of the Spanish language so that the student can read, write, and spell in their primary language.
LANGUAGE! Live is a blended model that combines the power of teacher instruction to online practice and instruction. LANGUAGE! Live is a highly effective reading program for struggling adolescent readers and writers in grades 6–12. It has been effective with English language learners, special needs students, students with language deficits and specific reading difficulties, and general education populations.
There are two major components:
ONLINE WORD TRAINING uses technology to strengthen foundational literacy skills.
- Vowels and Consonants
- Word Reading and Blending
- Prefixes and Suffixes
- Greek and Latin Roots
TEACHER-LED TEXT TRAINING leverages teacher guidance for close reading of challenging, relevant texts.
- Reading Comprehension