About Us - Philosophy and Mission Statement
Physical Education Philosophy
Physical education is an integral part of the total educational process. Through developmentally and instructionally appropriate activities, physical education teachers in the McAllen ISD strive to physically educate all children. A physically educated child:
- Demonstrates competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few movement forms.
- Applies involvement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills.
- Exhibits a physically active lifestyle.
- Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Demonstrates responsible personal and social behavior in physical activity settings.
- Demonstrates understanding and respect for differences among people in physical activity settings.
- Understands that physical activity provides opportunities for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.
Reprinted from Moving into the Future: National Standards for Physical Education, Second Edition (2004) with permission from the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE), an association of AAHPERD, 1900 Association Drive, Reston, VA 20191-1599
Health and Physical Education
The McAllen District and Physical Education department seeks to create students who are graduating career and/or college ready in a global society. Students are encouraged to become life-long learners in the classroom, as well as engaging in life-long active lifestyles. The district is currently a “Let’s Move! Active Schools” and “Alliance for a Healthier Generation” Recognized district, which fosters cooperation among all departments to ensure focus on the overall health (mental, physical, social and emotional) of the student. As an inquiry-based district, McAllen ISD is proud to be an International Baccalaureate and STEAM+ District, which further encourages students to become active life-long learners.
HPE Mission Statement - International Baccalaureate Programme
The McAllen ISD Physical Education program will promote an "iCAN” (Commitment. Active Lifestyle. Nutrition.) attitude into every student of McAllen ISD as they become lifelong learners and members of a global community.
HPE Mission Statement – McAllen ISD STEAM+ Program
The McAllen ISD Physical Education Program will integrate an in depth focus on Emotional Intelligence for all students in Grades PK-5. The Emotional Intelligence Framework includes the following: Self Awareness, Self Regulation, Motivation, Empathy, and Social Skills. The HPE Department will follow the Seven Competencies that correlate to the STEAM+ Program and become literate in the following: 1) Collaboration and Leadership, 2) Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making, 3) Creativity and Innovation, 4) Social, Cultural, Global, and Environmental Responsibility, 5) Communication, 6) Digital and Technology Fluency, 7) Lifelong Learning, Personal Management and Well-being.