McAllen ISD is one of fewer than two dozen school districts in the US or Canada to earn the prestigious 25th Annual Achievement of Excellence in Procurement® (AEP) for 2020 from the National Procurement Institute, Inc. (NPI). This is the seventh time in eight years McAllen ISD has achieved this international recognition.
The AEP Award is earned by public and non-profit agencies that demonstrate a commitment to procurement excellence. This annual program recognizes procurement organizations that embrace innovation, professionalism, productivity, leadership and e-procurement.
McAllen ISD is one of only 46 agencies in Texas and one of only 22 school districts in the United States and Canada to receive this award. The City of McAllen also won the award.
The AEP program encourages the development of excellence as well as continued organizational improvement to earn the award annually. For 2020, there were 188 successful applicants, including 40 counties, 69 cities, 15 higher education agencies, 22 school districts, 34 special districts, five state agencies and three others.
McAllen ISD also won the NPI award in 2013-18.
McAllen ISD has won several major awards this year for its sound fiscal practices. These include:
- The Certificate of Achievement in Excellence in Financial Reporting by Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) for the 10th consecutive year. The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
- Earning the state’s highest mark by TEA’s School FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas), 17 times in 18 years (including 14 perfect scores) with a perfect score the last nine years in a row.
- Recognized for excellence in budget presentation with the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the 2020–21 budget year. This is the sixth straight year McAllen ISD has been recognized for its comprehensive budget presentation. The award has come from the ASBO the past four years while the district had previously received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award by the Government Finance Officers Association for the two prior years.
- Maintaining a high credit rating from a major credit-rating service (Moody’s).
- Earned Transparency Stars from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in Debt Obligations for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public debt and the Transparency Star in the area of traditional finances for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public services and spending decisions.
In addition to the National Procurement Institute, Inc. (NPI), the AEP is sponsored by the California Association of Public Procurement Officials (CAPPO), Canadian Public Procurement Council / Conseil canadien des marchés publics (CPPC), Florida Association of Public Procurement Officials (FAPPO), National Association of Educational Procurement (NAEP), National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO), NIGP: The Institute for Public Procurement and Texas Public Purchasing Association (TxPPA). The AEP is supported by the Airport Purchasing Group (APG), OMINA Partners, Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council (SPLC) and the Universal Public Procurement Certification Council (UPPCC).
National Procurement Institute, Inc.