McAllen ISD is one of fewer than two dozen school districts in the US and Canada to earn the prestigious 26th Annual Achievement of Excellence in Procurement® (AEP) for 2021 from the National Procurement Institute, Inc. (NPI). This is the eighth time in nine years McAllen ISD has achieved this international recognition.
The AEP Award is earned by public and non-profit agencies that demonstrate a commitment to procurement excellence. This annual program recognizes procurement organizations that embrace innovation, professionalism, productivity, leadership and e-procurement.
McAllen ISD is one of only 19 school districts in the United States and Canada to receive this award. The City of McAllen also won the award.
The AEP program encourages the development of excellence as well as continued organizational improvement to earn the award annually. For 2021, there were 179 successful applicants, including 40 counties, 63 cities, 12 higher education agencies, 19 school districts, 36 special districts, seven state or provincial agencies and two others.
McAllen ISD also won the NPI award in 2013-18 and 2020.
McAllen ISD has won several major awards this year for its sound fiscal practices. These include:
McAllen ISD has won several major awards in recent years for its sound fiscal practices. These include:
- The Certificate of Achievement in Excellence in Financial Reporting by Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) for the 10th consecutive fiscal year (2010-19). The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
- Earning the state’s highest mark by TEA’s School FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas), 17 times in 18 years (including 14 perfect scores) with a perfect score the last nine years in a row.
- Recognized for excellence in budget presentation with the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the 2021–22 budget year. This is the seventh straight year (2015-21) McAllen ISD has been recognized for its comprehensive budget presentation. The award has come from ASBO for budget years 2017-18 through 2021-22 while the district had previously received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award by the Government Finance Officers Association for budget years 2015-16 through 2016-17.
- Maintaining a high credit rating from a major credit-rating service (Moody’s).
- Earned Transparency Stars from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in Debt Obligations for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public debt and the Transparency Star in the area of traditional finances for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public services and spending decisions.
National Procurement Institute, Inc.