McAllen ISD has is being recognized for earning a major state accolade for school business. It is the second straight year and fifth year overall for McAllen ISD to earn the Award of Merit for Purchasing Operations.
The Texas Association of School Business Officials (TASBO) has honored McAllen ISD with its 2022 award, making the school district one of just 58 educational entities in Texas to earn it this year.
Established in 2009, the Award of Merit recognizes Texas school districts, open-enrollment charter schools and education services centers that are committed to following professional standards in the acquisition of goods and services.
“This award exemplifies the outstanding work performed by our Purchasing Department staff,” McAllen ISD Superintendent Dr. J.A. Gonzalez, said. “Being ever mindful of the public’s dollar, their hard work and dedication goes a long way in supporting our mission to provide the best educational environment possible for our community’s children.”
McAllen ISD previously won the award in 2014, ’15, ’16 and ’21.
Each year, volunteers with the TASBO Purchasing and Supply Management Research Committee evaluate the award criteria to ensure it represents the latest best practices. A review of new and recertification applications follows.
“As Texas school districts face ever-increasing pressure to use funds efficiently, we’re honored to recognize the work our honorees do to streamline operations, comply with regulations and set the standard for how to utilize taxpayer dollars,” Tracy Ginsburg, TASBO Executive Director, said. “These organizations have not only demonstrated their professional purchasing operations by documenting their districts’ policies and procedures, but have also shared these best practices with colleagues throughout the state.”
Members of McAllen ISD’s purchasing team will be honored at the 2022 TASBO annual conference on March 2 in Grapevine, Texas. BuyBoard Purchasing Cooperative will sponsor the awards reception.
McAllen ISD has won many major awards in recent years for its sound fiscal practices. These include:
- The Certificate of Achievement in Excellence in Financial Reporting by Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) for the 11th consecutive fiscal year (2010-20). The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
- Earning the state’s highest mark by TEA’s School FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas), 18 times in 19 years (including 14 perfect scores).
- Recognized for excellence in budget presentation with the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the 2021–22 budget year. This is the seventh straight year (2015-21) McAllen ISD has been recognized for its comprehensive budget presentation. The award has come from ASBO for budget years 2017-18 through 2021-22 while the district had previously received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award by the Government Finance Officers Association for budget years 2015-16 and 2016-17.
- Maintaining a high credit rating from a major credit-rating service (Moody’s).
- Earned Transparency Stars from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in Debt Obligations for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public debt and the Transparency Star in the area of traditional finances for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public services and spending decisions.
- Awarded the Achievement of Excellence in Procurement (AEP) for eighth time in nine fiscal years (2013-18, 2020-21) from the National Procurement Institute, Inc. This is an international award (US & Canada).